ST. MARY'S COUNTY, MARYLAND

EXECUTIVE BRANCH

EDUCATION

ORIGIN & FUNCTIONS


BOARD OF EDUCATION

Educational matters that affect St. Mary's County come under the control of the Board of Education (Code Education Article, secs. 4-101 through 4-126).

The Board is composed of six members. Five are elected by the voters to four-year terms (Code Election Law Article, secs. 8-801 through 8-806). Selected by qualified County public school students, one nonvoting student member serves a one-year term (Code Education Article, secs. 3-101 through 3-105; 3-1101 through 3-1104). A chair and vice-chair for the Board are chosen annually in December (Code Education Article, sec. 4-107). The Superintendent of Schools serves as executive officer, secretary, and treasurer of the Board (Code Education Article, sec. 4-102).

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

Headed by the Superintendent of Schools, the Department of Education oversees three divisions: Fiscal Services and Human Resources; Instruction; and Supporting Services.

SUPERINTENDENT OF SCHOOLS

The Superintendent of Schools administers the St. Mary's County Public School System (Code Education Article, secs. 4-102; 4-201 through 4-206).

With the approval of the State Superintendent of Schools, the Board of Education appoints the County Superintendent of Schools to four-year terms.

DIVISION OF SUPPORTING SERVICES
The Division of Supporting Services formerly was called the Division of Schools and Operations. It reorganized under its present name in 2015.


COLLEGE OF SOUTHERN MARYLAND

The College of Southern Maryland is the community college for southern Maryland. In St. Mary's County, the Leonardtown Campus of the College of Southern Maryland originated in 1978 when St. Mary's Community College was established at Great Mills High School. The Community College moved to its present site in 1997, and merged to become the Leonardtown Campus of the College of Southern Maryland on July 1, 2000.

UNIVERSITY SYSTEM OF MARYLAND AT SOUTHERN MARYLAND

The University System of Maryland at Southern Maryland began as the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center. In response to the expanded role of the U.S. Navy at the Patuxent Naval Air Station, the Southern Maryland Higher Education Center was created in 1994 (Chapter 282, Acts of 1994; Code Education Article, secs. 24-301 through 24-309). The Center was reformed as the University System of Maryland at Southern Maryland in March 2019.

Based in California, Maryland, the University System of Maryland at Southern Maryland offers graduate degree and certificate programs, as well as upper-level undergraduate programs, for the tri-county region encompassing Calvert, Charles and St. Mary's counties.

PUBLIC LIBRARY

The St. Mary's County Public Library consists of libraries located at Charlotte Hall, Leonardtown, and Lexington Park.


[photo, St. Mary's County Library System, 23250 Hollywood Road, Leonardtown, Maryland]


St. Mary's County Library System, 23250 Hollywood Road, Leonardtown, Maryland, November 2017. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.


Maryland Counties
Maryland Municipalities
Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies
Maryland Departments
Maryland Independent Agencies
Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards
Maryland Universities & Colleges
Maryland at a Glance


Maryland Manual On-Line


Search the Manual
e-mail: mdmanual@mdarchives.state.md.us


This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user.


Tell Us What You Think About the Maryland State Archives Website!


[ Archives' Home Page  ||  Maryland Manual On-Line  ||  Reference & Research
||  Search the Archives   ||  Education & Outreach  ||  Archives of Maryland Online ]

Governor     General Assembly    Judiciary     Maryland.Gov

Copyright November 25, 2020 Maryland State Archives