For Caroline County, in 1774, colonial Governor Robert Eden appointed nine justices to the County Court. It was unusual, however, for as many as seven to be in attendance on any particular day.
Courthouse, 109 Market St., Denton, Maryland, October 2004. Photo by Diane F. Evartt.
In 1794, the Levy Court replaced the County Court and was concerned with levying and collecting of taxes. The Constitution of 1851, in turn, replaced the Levy Court with County Commissioners (Constitution of 1851, Art. VII, sec. 8). Three commissioners were elected to two-, four-, and six-year terms, respectively (Chapter 372, Laws of 1852). By 1922, all county commissioners were given four-years terms (Chapter 227, Acts of 1922).
Today, the Board of County Commissioners serves as both the executive branch and legislative branch of County government. The Board enacts County laws and policies, levies taxes, ascertains how County funds are used, and promotes the welfare of the County.
The Board's three members are elected by the voters to four-year terms. Annually, the Board selects the Chair and Vice-Chair.
|| Search the Archives || Education & Outreach || Archives of Maryland Online ] Governor General Assembly Judiciary Maryland.Gov